Valdosta Georgia History
It is almost 135 years since the beginning of the Civil War, but it is still several years before the first slaves were traded on the beaches of our state.
Story is an undated clip from the Valdosta Daily Times, titled "The School District Hahira," from the March 20, 1953 issue. There were once eleven schools, but in 1969 they were all merged into one system. The club now has three branches, known as SGU North, formerly known as Flint River Fusion, SGE South and SGC South (formerly collectively known as South Georgia United, or SGU). In a final ironic twist, Emory's South Georgia Division facility was given away and became the site of Georgia's first high school football team, the Georgia State Football Club (GSAFC). It closed in 1953 and later reopened as the University of Southern Georgia (USCG).
The six districts were bounded by the following: Valdosta, Hahira, Gadsden, Gwinnett, Georgia State, Emory, South Georgia and South Carolina.
In addition to the boroughs, the Lowndes County Historical Society Museum and Georgia State University Library are also on the National Register of Historic Places. Located in the old Carnegie Public Library, it is a treasure trove of information and its galleries and exhibitions offer a wealth of local history and culture. Articles about the colleges of the region are included, as well as a history of Valdosta High School and a list of local colleges and universities.
Many of the documents from the estate of the 1930s and 1940s are filmed on microfilm, as is the history of the Valdosta Public Library. The Publicity Scrapbook contains articles from Georgian newspapers and colleges and was produced from 1930 to the 1950s.
An animated map illustrating the boundary changes of the Georgia county can be found under the "Rotating Formation" on the right side of this page. The database of the South Georgian Historical Newspaper is a collection of more than 2,000 articles from the archive of the Valdosta Public Library.
The Georgia Southern Museum, where collections, exhibits and programming interpret the exciting research work of GeorgiaSouthern University. To this end, we will publish here graduate and undergraduate theses on Georgia's history and the history of Georgia and South Carolina. The Lowndes County Historical Society is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the history of Georgia County, its people and its history.
Georgia Military College operates six campuses and two expansion centers, while Valdosta State University has a single main campus in the city and provides housing to more than 2,000 students from Georgia, South Carolina, Georgia and Georgia. South Georgia's rich history is shared by all post-secondary schools, from the Public College founded in 1879 to the Carnegie Library built in 1913. It is home to Georgia Southern University, Georgia State College of Science and Technology and the University of the South.
The town was named after a plantation of former governor George Troup and incorporated in December 1860. It was renamed Valdosta and renamed in honor of the first mayor of the city, William T. Valdoa, in 1864.
The spelling Val d'Osta is occasionally used for the plantation, and Valdosta is named after the plantation in Troup, but not after the town itself.
The Georgia Southern and Florida Rail Road came in 1889 and Valdosta was included in the so-called "Dixie Line," which connects Chicago, Illinois, with Miami, Florida. The importance of the line was underscored by the fact that Lowndes City Council was responsible for the construction and maintenance of a rail line from Chicago to Miami and from there to Atlanta, Georgia.
The stately appearance of the streets and shops in the city centre brought Valdosta a repeat and it had the reputation of being one of the most beautiful cities of Georgia in the early 20th century.
There is no doubt that it has a popular character, and many are well known to the first settlers. He proposed to name the place after one of Georgia's most famous poets, John Lowndes, the poet of Valdosta. In deciding the name of their county, they went beyond their own state and chose "Lownde's."
This part of Georgia as it is now was very fertile, and with the new undeveloped land it was easy to build prosperous houses. They decided to build workers "homes under the lush pine trees and were therefore very successful.
When the city realized that the state also needed better teachers, it donated the land to South Georgia State Normal College, which opened in 1913 and eventually became Valdosta State University. The name of the hospital was changed to "South Georgia Medical Center" because Pineview was in need.
When the city leadership refused, a compromise was reached and students, faculty and staff were transferred to Atlanta for the duration of the war. The Indians never caused any more difficulties for the settlers in South Georgia and the successful results of this struggle soon became widely known. To promote the development of a new county town, the railway to Valdosta and not to Troupville was built.